December 1, 2008

let the consumerist mayhem begin?

December 1st. I look forward to and dread this time of year. I've never been big on the whole 'it's a holy day' thing - and honestly if you do even the smallest bit of research you'll realise that much of what we 'believe to be true' isn't historically accurate - after all it's the winners who write history.

What I have always enjoyed is the snowfall, the warmth of a fire, the anticipation of getting/giving and the food. Not that I'm particularly greedy, but it is exciting knowing that someone you love found something special just for you. My mom is the champion of gift givers - she is amazing at finding that odd little thing that someone will adore and treasure - thankfully I have inherited this trait. It's never very big, or expensive, but always thoughtful and fitting. The kind of gift that one says 'oooh I saw that, but didn't buy it' or 'I was just looking for something like this'.


Some say that giving gifts is selfish because it's all about the glory of the giver being so freaking clever or spending lots of money and expecting something back (I have one of this type at home - he also never ever lets you forget which gift he gave you). I disagree with this. When I buy a gift for someone - it's for them, about them and their likes - it has very little to do with me other than that I saw the thing. (toys are a different story - that's just greedy gimmie gimmie as most children don't learn to gift until they are older). Obviously I'm happy if they like it (and being right about their liking it is cool too), but that is secondary. You don't show someone that you appreciate, love, and respect who they are by buying them things you'd like to have.....and if you do - than shame on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment