November 20, 2008

Tales of Horror - Dating and the Single Mom.....

Many of my friends are single moms, and many of my male friends are single..lol so naturally I get asked "what are the 'rules' for dating a single mom?". Why they think I know the answer I haven't a clue - my dating life has been one disaster after another, and sex is...well usually unattainable - unfortunately. After being asked one time to many I decided to write up some 'rules' and send them out for discussion - we (the single moms) decided that this is as close as it gets to the truth of it - a bit blunt and maybe too honest, but still.....

MYTH - All single moms want a 'new' daddy. Nope- many of us have NO desire to go that route again without very careful consideration..All most of us want is a casual … 'relationship' with someone who is too busy for anything full-time – there's no need romance, we haven't the time for ooyee-gooey crap, and we don't expect dinner out every freaking night. (Sounds great right? Apparently I'm wrong)

TIME - A single mother HAS to arrange a babysitter and needs a bit of notice before going out! More than 3 days at least!

MONEY -Why is it difficult to understand that we are…well…of little income – hello? SINGLE MOM – so no we can't afford to go to Cin Cin or Joe Fortes – not my fault, 60% of single mothers live near or below the poverty line –get over it.

GOLDEN RULE- My daughter lives with me, so no you can't come over afterwards- sorry. Tried it – disastrous.

OBVIOUS - We can't drink martinis all night – not even on Friday – we need to get up with our child / children at 7:30 am on Saturday morning, whether we want to or not – and if we are sleeping over we still have to go home at some point, hangovers are a luxury our child/children can't afford!

ATTACHMENT- Kids get attached to people, especially ones who make mommy happy. To keep said child safe from a broken heart after their new 'friend' is gone please understand that we have no intention of introducing said 'guy' to our child/children unless we feel strongly about him AFTER a period of 6 months.

PRIORITIES- Our children come first. In the middle of a date, in the middle of the night, it doesn't matter. We will leave you to go to them. Might not be fair, but that's the way it is - and would you respect us as mothers if it were any other way? As I had to say to one date - "Duh, she's my baby, not 'ours'- mine...of course she's first!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment